Month two: demonstration plot

The demonstration plot is only half way through as PAN53 takes 135-140 days to mature. Now we just wait. All the fertilizers have been applied:
-Three applications on the demo side at planting, 4 weeks and 6 weeks.
-Two applications on the farmers side, supposed to be at 2 weeks and 6 weeks.
And the maize heads seem to have appeared overnight. Now we let it mature and dry.

 

20160808_173350
Flooding in the demonstration side. Two weeks later and the submerged plants are still the same.

The main challenge this month was rain. Too much rain. You think we would be grateful but it rained hard and heavy, many times, flooding parts of the field that were not level, knocked over thin stalks and washed away fertilizer (at least on the farmer side).

But with these challenges also came the lessons:
1. The importance of land preparation. The fields should be level or at least have an outlet for excess water.

20160729_082113
On the left is a plant from the demonstration side. Notice the single thick stalk. On the right are plants from the farmer side. Both grains germinated and now these plants compete against each other. Notice how much thinner the stalks are (and this is from a plant in a row near the demonstration side).

2. Seed variety and planting method are key. Majority of the stalks pushed down by rain and wind were on the farmers side, where not actual seed is used but grain instead. Poor ‘seed’ will mean poor germination and traits. The stalks from these grains are so thin and look more like millet stalks. Furthermore, two grains per hole were planted. This results in two stalks competing for already minimal nutrients in burned out soil.

20160729_091108
This already micronutrient deficient plant will not benefit as fully as it could if that fertilizer were buried near its roots. 

3. Fertilizer must be buried. The difference between the plots is stark. The fertilizer that was buried can even be seen having an effect on the first few rows nearest the demo side. The nutrients beneath the surface clearly leached and affected those rows for the better. This shows the slight slope of the land and if buried fertilizer is leaching, imagine what happens to fertilizer sprinkled on the surface.

20160901_154904
The divide between the demonstration and farmer side is not as drastic anymore because the first three rows of the farmer side have been benefiting from the demonstration fertilizer. Notice the rest of the rows on the farmer side though.

The demo side is not perfect by any means. It was on this side where ground was uneven and no matter how good the seed is, if it floods, it will destroy the crop (see image above). I wonder about the spacing too. When walking through the rows, some plants could not compete with the surrounding ones as those grew taller and leaves wider. Does spacing within rows need to be a little wider? It is currently at 25 cm within rows.

I found all kinds of wildlife in the plants too – beautiful crickets, frogs and snails. Every time wondering if one of them was a pest, if it was that insect making holes in the leaves. I am glad we did not have to use any pesticides though. There were reports of farms in the region being infested with a type of stem borer and I hope it does not reach my community in the next couple months.

Next report in October!

Advertisements

One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s